Sunday, March 11, 2012

ADHD & Relationships

Relationships between two adults can be difficult at its best. Now throw ADHD into the mix whereby one partner has it and the other partner don't and it's a completely different complexity altogether.

I'm in such a relationship being the one with ADHD and my partner doesn't. He's one very special man, for not only does he have me as his ADHD partner but my son who is ADHD as well. My son is from a previous relationship before my current partner and I met.

It hasn't been easy for my non-ADHD partner to watch me flip-flop all over the place. It frustrates him to no end, seeing me not being consistent for more than 3 days, not backing up promises made.  The biggest frustration of all is my lack of communicating, espeically about the important things related to our relationship.  When I communicate it tends to be of a selfish and self-centered nature, never acknowledging his feelings or concerns.  Often times I'm very quick to accuse him of not listening to me, when it's usually me not listening to him.

Throughout it all, from diagnosis to being on medication, learning to accept ADHD, still  learning to control it, the relationship has many positive moments as well as negative ones.  I choose to think of the positive instead of negative.  It's all the wonderful things my partner does for me and my son.  The little and big things he does to show how much we mean to him, despite us (my son & I) having ADHD is why he is such a speical wonderful man.  Words cannot describe how much he means to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment