Monday, March 19, 2012

The Positive & Negative Aspects of Medication

My journey with ADHD so far has been a real eye-opener.  From the relief of  finally being diagnosed to
figuring out which medication would best help me to manage my symptoms.

Medication for AAD/ADHD come in two main classes: the stimulants and the antidepressants.  Because
I've been diagnosed with the inattentive type of ADHD my psychiatrist started me off with a stimulant called Ritalin, 10 mg three times a day.  I tried this doasge for a week and during this time my mood swings were out of whack, loss of appetite, had trouble sleeping.  Work schedule at the time and remembering to take the medication when required didn't really work for me because I would forget sometimes.  The worst reaction of all was the drastic drop in body weight.  Feelings of being focused, ready to tackle daily life was more like "being high as a kite", similar to someone "being high" on illegal drugs.  Something I've never tried.  The next drug that I tried was Dexedrine but the weight loss continued and it caused me to be on edge, paranoid all the time.  Feelings of always having to be looking over my shoulder.  Dexedrine wasn't very helpful in helping me to manage my symptoms. 

After being on Dexedrine for a week back to the doctor I go to let him know that I need to try something else.  My son was diagnosed with ADHD months before me and his pediatrician started him on the slow release form of Ritalin right from the start.  I knew it was working for him so why wouldn't it work for me also.  I shared this information with my doctor and asked if I can finally start on the same medication as my son.  The slow release form of Ritalin known as Biphentin. 

At first it was a matter of determining the right dosage amount to help me manage the symptoms.  Currently, I'm taking 50 mg every morning followed by 10 mg immediate release Ritalin at 4 pm to give me an extra boost to stay focused in the evening.  This dosage works for me, my biggest struggle has been to re-gain the weight previously lost when first starting on medication.  I've re-gained my appetite, any time of day when I feel hungry I'll eat.  As for my weight, despite not gaining as fast as I would like too, I've been able to maintain it.

Currently, I'm waiting for an appointment to speak with a registered dietician to see what suggestions he/she can offer with regards to diet in order to gain weight in a healthy way.  Perhaps my metabolism could be the reason why I struggle with weight gain? Who knows?  My only regret is not asking to seek advice from a dietician a lot sooner.  I feel this meeting will be beneficial in helping to better manage ADHD.  I will try whatever the dietician suggests with an open mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment